Sadly Fibromyalgia is a condition that you will never be able to cure. I can assure you that medical experts are working on hard on actually deciphering the cause of Fibromyalgia in an attempt to get to the bottom of how to deal with it, but for now you sadly are going to have to do your best to deal with the pain. Whist when a ‘Fibromyalgia’ attack occurs it is VERY painful; if you do the right thing then you may be able to keep those pains to a minimum. On this page I want to talk to you about one of the methods you can put into practice today; a Fibromyalgia diet plan. The information on this page is going to be different from many other Fibromyalgia diet plans though. This is because I am going to talk to you about seven of the foods that you must avoid. Studies have shown time and time again than these foods can lead to severe pain.
Foods to Avoid With Fibromyalgia Diet:
- Aspartame: This is an ‘artificial sweetener’ often marketed as NutraSweet. You should always look at ANY product to see whether it contains Aspartame. This is because Aspartame has the ability to kick start a process in the body which opens up pain receptors. This is obviously NOT something that you want to happen when you are dealing with Fibromyalgia.
- MSG: The vast majority of food additives are going to have an impact on your fibromyalgia in one way or another. There is nothing worse than MSG though. This product, man-made, is used to boost the flavour in frozen foods and Asian food. Not only will it be boosting the flavour though, it will also be kicking your pain up a notch. It often has an impact quite quickly on the body. Most people find that by cutting down on the amount of MSG they consume, the easier it is to keep the pain symptoms at bay.
- Simple Carbohydrates such as Sugar and Fructose. Now It is worth noting that there is no evidence that cutting down on simple carbohydrates is actually going to have an impact on your fibromyalgia. However it is known to help cut down on yeast infections which often occur in sufferers and that in turn is going to help to reduce a significant amount of pain. In any case, you don’t want to constantly be pumping simple sugars into your body because it simply is NOT healthy.
- Caffeine: This is the bane of any Fibromyalgia sufferer’s life. Anything that contains caffeine, and that includes coffee, soft drinks, tea, and chocolate, can have a severe impact on the system. This is in part down to the fact they ‘perk’ the body up for a while. Now, you may not think this is that bad since those who suffer from fibromyalgia are constantly tired, however it is. This is because as soon as you have had that little ‘perk’ you will instantly feel tired, and quite often it is going to be a lot worse and accompanied with pain. Those who cut down on these products will find that their symptoms of fibromyalgia often get better in less than a week.
- Yeast and Gluten: As I mentioned previously, one of the major sources of pain in those who suffer from fibromyalgia is the yeast fungus. Cutting down on yeast in the body may actually eliminate this problem. This means cutting out ‘yeast filled’ products. Many people find that muscle and joint pain is reduced as a result. In addition to this, cutting down on gluten can actually lead you to feel slightly perkier. This is because many people are suffering from a gluten intolerance and really did not know. It is especially common in those who are suffering from fibromyalgia so this may be a route that you may want to look down.
- Dairy: To be honest, this should have been placed much higher on this list. This is because most of us consume some sort of dairy product on a daily basis. Research has shown that products such as milk and cheese can cause inflammation in the body. It is therefore important that they are cut out as part of your Fibromyalgia Diet Plan. It is worth noting however that not everybody is negatively impacted by dairy. Many people find that by cutting out the dairy products the symptoms actually get a WHOLE lot worse. If you fall into this category then you should continue to drink and eat dairy products. After all, there is no need to cut out anything that is having a good impact on your body.
- Any product which comes from a plant classed as a ‘nightshade’ should be cut from the diet. This includes potatoes, eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes. This is because they contain a number of compounds inside which can cause severe inflammation and pain in the body. Again, in some cases people find that they notice a benefit to their symptoms when they DO consume the foods, so again you are going to have to experiment.
This is just a VERY brief guide to the Fibromyalgia diet plan. As you will have probably gathered throughout this page, people are impacted by different things. What may cause a flare-up of your symptoms may not necessarily cause a flare-up in somebody else. It is up to you to work out what your own triggers are and work to avoid them. In addition to this, you need to be aware that it is not just foods that you need to focus on. There are a number of things that you will need to do in order to keep your fibromyalgia at bay. This includes taking regular trips to the doctor and looking online for a variety of ways in which you can treat your symptoms. Read more about fibromyalgia home treatment and medications for fibromyalgia.